Today I’m setting up a new project and writing this blog to announce urbantamil.com which is live now. UrbanTamil, is like urbandictionary.com for Tamil, to provide a user centered, social dictionary building experience, and free reuse.
- You can lookup words in dictionary
- You have options for downloading or defining a word
- Users can add words as they are used in regional dialect (Chennai, Kovai, Madurai, Thanjai etc.); user can tag them with period usage, parts-of-speech (peyar sol, vinai sol etc);
- All content will be contributed back all the entries under CC SA 3.0 to Tamil Wiktionary.
- You can define the word, and add custom information.
- Success screen follows upon correct upload to website
- Moreover users can correct (edit) existing words for spelling mistakes, usage, and define new words.
Goals of the project
- Language / Vernacular use
- Censorship free/Contemporary natural Tamil – from ஜிகிர்தண்டா (Jigirthanda) – கலாசல் (Kalasal)
- Language from Ceylon, Singapore, Canada – Tamil + Punjabi, Tamil + English etc variants
- Build a open vocabulary while having fun.
This project will be fun, and I hope you a user community can engage and develop out of the website urbantamil.com; I always welcome feedback, and let me know how you think of it – via email or comments on the blog.