Tamil projects for 2019-2020
Over the course of this year, since translating Ruby Kin, and preparing a summary of 3 years work on spell-checker for Tamil Internet Conference – 2019, I’ve been thinking of next level of interesting projects.
The following have come to mind, expressed in Twitter @ezhillang in various forms. Here they are in simply chronological order,
- Translating “Data Structures and Algorithms” book in Tamil
- Previously my work with open-tamil collaborators involved generating useful practical Tamil words for commonly used data structures in a survey. ‘கணினி தரவமைப்புகளும் செயல்முறைகளும்‘
- Useful candidate books for translation are:
- ‘Algorithms,’ by Prof. Jeff Erickson at UIUC
- Problem Solving with Algorithms and Data Structures Using Python, Creative Commons licensed by its authors Brad Miller and David Ranum; same book (from above) adapted at Bradfield CS https://bradfieldcs.com/algos/
- Translating/Writing a “Debugging Techniques” book in Tamil: ‘கணினி செயல்முறை நிரகளில் வழுநீக்கம்‘ – பயிற்சி, நூல்
- Debugging techniques are important learning milestone for any professional software/hardware developer which are usually learnt on the job and essentially skipped in academia (perhaps for practical purposes).
- (Research/Proof-of-concept) Viterbi algorithm based spelling correction algorithm for Tamil
- (Research/Proof-of-concept) Concordance based context ambiguity resolution for Tamil spelling correction.
Contingent on our levels and degrees of success we can share our work in forums like Tamil Internet Conference, ACL or ACM, etc.
As always collaborators are welcome: email: ezhillang -AT- gmail -DOT- com